Friday, March 16, 2007

A really great movie and more

Last weekend, as part of the (waning) "I'm on sabbatical" film festival, we watched "Stranger Than Fiction." I hear what you're saying: "I don't like Will Farrell" (even though I _do_ like Will Ferrell, myself). But even if you are saying that, you should RUN, don't walk, to get this movie. Why is it great?
*It's super literary - and remember, readers, that I am *not* a super literary, lit-degree type, so I'm not necessarily drawn to these things.
*It has mystery stuff in it (sort of)
*Will Ferrell and everyone else in the cast is great, esp. Dustin Hoffman
*It has a not entirely inaccurate portrayal of a faculty member's life (for a movie, anyway. It's not entirely accurate, either, but it's not too far off)

In other news, I finished the nth revision of the introduction to the OMB this week - it's still rough because I changed a ton, but it's getting there. For those of you who are familiar with the article/book writing process, you will know that finishing a draft of the intro means that I'm sort of nearing done-ness - because it's impossible to write anything coherent about what something will be about until it's nearly done. The only way anyone can know what writing is about, after all, is by writing. So that's something.

Next week is CCCC - that's the Conference on College Composition and Communication, in case among my tens of readers there is someone not in the field of composition. This is our big disciplinary conference. This year's is in New York, which should be fun. Best professional friend (her name for me, so I'm borrowing, too) and I get in around the same time on Tuesday, so we're going to do a fun thing, and then have a fun dinner with another friend of ours. After that it's pretty much all work, but it's work with other fun people who get together once or twice a year at most, so it's all pretty darned fun. And good food, too. Perhaps I'll adopt the Krause scale of restaurant reviewing: atmosphere, tastiness, and value.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home