Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Striking Faculty Member(s)

So as an EMU faculty member, I'm officially on strike. I've had mixed feelings about this strike all along - I don't think it was in the best interests of the university - but I also don't think that a contract that offered AAUP members a pay cut was in the best interest of the university, either. Be that as it may, the last contract offer apparently netted us a small pay increase. But the union turned it down (because that was their p**()*)(ing contest) and the administration walked away from the negotiations, saying that they're not returning until the strike has ended (because that's theirs). So now there's an impasse over what is probably something like 1/2 a percent or some such minimal amount. I think the union wasn't smart to take the offer, but I think the administration are being complete jerks. I'm sure that their negotiating team has little say in their actions - there are bigger powers, and bigger issues, at work here. And it sucks. Everyone should read Steve Krause's blog on this - he's more in touch with things than I am, and probably less morose, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home